Public Meeting Description: The U.S. Congress has appropriated $4.7 billion to establish a Broadband Technology Opportunities Program for awards to eligible entities to develop and expand broadband services to rural and underserved areas and improve access to broadband by public safety agencies. Of these funds, $250 million will be available for innovative programs that encourage sustainable adoption of broadband services; at least $200 million will be available to upgrade technology and capacity at public computing centers, including community colleges and public libraries; $10 million will be a transfer to the Office of Inspector General for the purposes of BTOP audits and oversight. Up to $350 million of the BTOP funding is designated for the development and maintenance of statewide broadband inventory maps.
- Anna Gomez, Acting Administrator, NTIA, US Department of Commerce.
- Tom Vilsack, Secretary of US Department of Agriculture. See Rural Development website.
- Michael J. Copps, Acting Chair, FCC.
- Rick Wade, Senior Advisor and Acting Chief of Staff, US Department of Commerce.
- (Moderator) Mark Seifert, NTIA Senior Advisor
- Dr. Bernadette McGuire-Rivera, Associate Administrator, NTIA
- David Villano, Assistant Administrator for Telecommunications Programs, USDA Rural Development
- Scott M. Deuchman, Acting Senior Legal Advisor to Acting Chairman Copps, FCC.